Seeking an extraordinary Calculus and Physics educator to help us build the future of high school
What is possible to the human adolescent? Our view is that properly empowered, and in the right learning environment, high school students are capable of much more than conventional education enables them to achieve. High school students are and ought to be purpose-driven: with creative, entrepreneurial, or intellectual passion beyond the boundaries of conventional schools. They are and ought to be meaning-driven: deeply reflective about the nature of the true and the good in a way that conventional standards don’t serve. They are and ought to be mature and responsible: able to gradually take ownership over their own education and relationships. And they are and ought to be non-standard: advanced in one or more domains in ways that basic courses cannot serve, and with different and evolving areas of growth that conventional methods can’t help them optimally address.
The Academy of Thought and Industry is an innovative new high school model that offers a deep knowledge curriculum within a framework of self-directed learning. Our carefully crafted program offers an integrated approach to achieving personal, academic, and professional excellence. Together with our students, we identify and support individualized development plans that help each student engage in meaningful work and acquire the requisite content, skills, and experiences necessary for the life he or she wants to live.
Our program is built upon three pillars:
- A Socratic humanities core in which students discuss, digest, and debate the core competing ideas that shape our world.
- A focus on meaningful projects, with community outreach and engagement and the flexibility for students to pursue passion-driven learning beyond the school walls.
- A close-knit small learning community of support and challenge, that includes individualized coaching for our students and engaging communities of practice for our teachers.
ATI combines the knowledge and reasoning ideals of a liberal arts education, real-world experiential opportunities for today’s urban teenagers and a supportive learning community to help each student uniquely thrive. It’s a blend of the best of a classical approach to education with the best of what alternative and experiential education have to offer. In addition, ATI offers a strong college preparatory curriculum, including a systematic approach to standardized testing and an integrated approach to AP courses.
Our ideal candidate is a highly capable, experienced educator of teenagers, a curious and engaging community-builder and a thoughtful, kind human being. We know that’s asking a lot! We're looking for an innovative, intellectual mentor for our students who loves teaching and learning math and sciences (the broader the better). We are best suited for educators who care deeply about adolescent development and are inspired to be a part of building a better holistic educational experience for teenagers.
We are looking specifically for a Physics and Calculus Teacher to join us this school year to teach calculus, makerspace, Euclid's elements, problem solving and physics. This is a full-time teaching position for someone that is
- Strongly interested in co-creating a vibrant, loving school community
- An experienced (or deeply committed to learning) mentor, advisor, or coach of teenagers to help them explore their passions, learn to manage difficulties and embrace their gifts
- An expert in study and application of a diverse array of Math and Sciences
- Excited about classroom Socratic inquiry (see our Founder's book, The Habit of Thought, for the specific pedagogy)
- Passionate about developing student problem solving skills and mindsets and making connections to the real world
- Deeply motivated to foster autonomy and individuality of students and willing to personalize instruction and assessment significantly based on student needs
- A mentor as much as a teacher
- Has significant experience and deep commitment to working with adolescents
- An excellent communicator
- Strengths-based focused
- Committed to the idea of endless improvement personally and professionally
Ideally, you will also have a variety of interests, passions, and/or accomplishments that you'll bring to our school to share with our students. Examples may include art, entrepreneurship, makerspace, robotics, coding, design thinking, improv, creative professional skills, martial arts, yoga, mindfulness, quantified self, foreign languages, etc.
You may or may not come from a traditional high school education/teaching background – you may have taught in alternative or innovative schools or programs - we are open to a range of backgrounds and experiences that align to our community and student aspirations. If you do come from a traditional education background, you’re seeking to build something different, to take your teaching practice in innovative directions and to develop deep personal relationships with students and peers. If you have experience with AP coursework, SAT content and prep, and are knowledgeable and practiced in the Socratic method, let us know in your cover letter.
We strongly encourage and welcome people from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity and join our unique community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Starting Salary: $45-50,000 for 10 month school year
Start Date: Immediately or January 6th