At the Academy of Thought and Industry we are creating a deeply motivating adolescent program that inspires and empowers students to live meaningful lives. It’s an important and exciting challenge that requires tremendous creativity and ingenuity. Come join our wonderful Austin community today!
As our ATI Middle School and High School Makerspace / Creative Arts Teacher, you will deliver an exceptional learning experience for students. Responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with ATI's programmatic experts to expand and give regular feedback on ATI’s curriculum
- Facilitating students’ progression through your designated humanities course(s) using the Altitude Learning platform, a next generation learning platform designed specifically to enable individualized, student-led learning
- Meeting virtually with students for live class sessions each week
- Offering regular, substantive feedback on their work
- Assessing, tracking, and reporting on student progress
- Communicating with families in support of each student’s learning
- Providing 1:1 coaching support to a cohort of students
- Establishing a strong, supportive community that upholds ATI's core values both in and outside of class
- Rapidly innovating and iterating on the school model with ATI's program experts and your school colleagues
Our Creative Expression elective focus on connecting students to exploring and understanding the world in novel ways.. We use a combination of Montessori resources and proprietary curriculum to engage students with design thinking, painting, art appreciation, film-making, and makerspace. These classes allow student to develop their artistic abilities and vision, practice their technical expertise using physical and digital tools to design, build, and create things, and hone their unique perspectives and understandings of form and function.
Our ideal Makerspace candidate is a highly capable, experienced educator of teenagers, a curious and engaging art history, builder, and design expert, and a thoughtful, kind human being. We know that’s asking a lot! We're looking for an innovative, intellectual mentor for our students who loves teaching and learning makerspace concepts and projects (the broader the better). We are best suited for educators who care deeply about adolescent development and are inspired to be a part of building a better holistic educational experience for teenagers.
We're looking for someone who is:
- Strongly interested in co-creating a vibrant, loving school community
- Dedicated to contributing to an innovative online curriculum
- An experienced (or deeply committed to learning) mentor, advisor, or coach of adolescents, dedicated to helping them explore their passions, learn to manage difficulties and embrace their gifts
- An expert in a variety of Makerspace modalities (3-d printing, electronics, laser-cutting, woodworking, metallurgy, ect) and visual or graphic arts
- Passionate about developing student problem-solving skills and mindsets and and their ability to make connections to the real world
- Deeply motivated to fostering autonomy and individuality of students and willing to personalize instruction and assessment significantly based on student needs
- Has significant experience and deep commitment to working with adolescents
- An excellent communicator in speech and writing
- Committed to the idea of endless improvement personally and professionally
You may or may not come from a traditional teaching background – you may have taught in alternative or innovative schools or programs. We are open to a range of backgrounds and experiences that align to our community and student aspirations. If you do come from a traditional education background, you’re seeking to build something different, to take your teaching practice in innovative directions and to develop deep personal relationships with students and peers. If you have experience with Montessori pedagogy, please let us know in your cover letter.
We strongly encourage and welcome people from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity and join our unique community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
The Academy of Thought and Industry is an innovative new middle and high school model that inspires, empowers, and connects adolescents to our world so that they can build meaningful lives—now and into adulthood. Too often, teens experience school as a space that hinders them from reaching their goals. The ATI program is designed to help students discover and follow the paths they truly want to pursue.
Students develop and achieve ambitious personal goals through a combination of a humanistic curriculum, individual passion projects, and one-on-one coaching. Through our program, students build a critical understanding of our world and how it developed, and then connect to the world by applying their foundational knowledge to real and meaningful work.
These 5 core values are embedded through every area of our program:
- The Pursuit of Knowledge: We strive to put facts first and gain wisdom through both scholarship and experiential learning. We use evidence-based reasoning to explore, interrogate and debate the big ideas that have shaped our world, seeking what is true and connecting those ideas to our own lives and contexts. We pursue knowledge not as an academic exercise, but to improve our judgment and actions in the world.
- The Dignity of Work: Purposeful work is central to a life well-lived. In choosing our work, we direct our energies intentionally toward our goals, bring structure and focus to our lives, and reshape our worlds. Through cultivating our capacity for work, as well as our appreciation of the rewards of work well done, we develop a character capable of genuine effort and great achievement.
- The Power of Agency: We believe that human beings, using their reason, judgment and passion, are capable of leading self-directed lives of profound meaning and worth. We seek to always acknowledge and respect our own power to act, and to develop and exercise our capacity to act with purpose, integrity and conviction in pursuit of our aspirations.
- The Responsibility and Joyfulness of Community: We recognize the value of deep, honest relationship, and we offer others an authentic self that makes such relationships possible. We enliven and enrich each other through our choice to share norms, practices and expectations. In doing so, we experience the joy of belonging and develop a deep and abiding sense of love and responsibility for the communities we embrace.
- The Courage to Live Wholeheartedly: To fully engage with the world requires a tremendous amount of vulnerability and moral courage. In order to become our best selves, we bravely face our insecurities and have the courage to care deeply about our values. We embrace the everlasting process of personal growth hat is the hallmark of being human, and that allows us to live wholeheartedly.
ATI Austin is moving to a new site for the school 2021-22 school year. This new expanded location will have space for both middle school and high school program as well as a new makerspace and community areas.
In addition to the opportunity to co-create a new model for high school, we offer a competitive salary and benefits, an academic schedule with summers off, and the opportunity to be an integral member of a meaningful community.
If you're as excited about this endeavor as we are, please apply below and include a detailed cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in this role.