Seeking an extraordinary Humanities educator to help us build the future of middle school! Montessori training is provided!
At the Academy of Thought and Industry, we are a team of educators, first and foremost. Even our founder and CEO is AMI trained, and started his career in the classroom! We've now expanded to become a network of Montessori schools, dedicated to fundamentally changing the face of education in the United States by growing the Montessori movement. From the top-down, we believe in what we do – and we want to invite you to join our community of educators, passionate about spreading high-fidelity Montessori!
Our schools in the Bay area offer a Montessori education from birth to 18 years old! Our sister school, Guidepost Montessori at Fort Mason is looking for a English, History, or Humanities teacher to join our thriving middle school program. If you are committed to helping students discuss, digest and debate ideas, while creating meaningful projects that help them thrive as learners and members of their community, this position is for you!
Our ideal candidate is a highly capable, experienced educator of middle school students, a curious and engaging community-builder and a thoughtful, kind human being. We know that’s asking a lot! We're looking for an innovative, intellectual mentor for our students who loves teaching and learning a vast array of humanities subjects. With our small class sizes you become a fundamental part of building the community through projects, coaching and developing the program. We are best suited for educators who care deeply about adolescent development and are inspired to be a part of building a better holistic educational experience for teenagers.
We are looking specifically for a Humanities Teacher to teach all levels of History, Language Arts, Writing, and Reading in our unique mixed age environment for 6th, 7th and 8th graders. This is a full-time teaching position for someone that is
- Strongly interested in co-creating a vibrant, loving school community
- Ready to contribute to the Program Design
- An experienced (or deeply committed to learning) mentor, advisor, or coach of teenagers to help them explore their passions, learn to manage difficulties and embrace their gifts
- An expert in study and application of a diverse array Humanities subjects, including: American and World History, Creative and Formal Writing, Arts, etc.
- Excited about classroom Socratic inquiry
- Passionate about developing student critical thinking skills and mindsets and making connections to the real world
- Deeply motivated to foster autonomy and individuality of students and willing to personalize instruction and assessment significantly based on student needs
- A mentor as much as a teacher
- Has significant experience and deep commitment to working with adolescents
- An excellent communicator
- Strengths-based focused
- Committed to the idea of endless improvement personally and professionally
Ideally, you will also have a variety of interests, passions, and/or accomplishments that you'll bring to our school to share with our students. Examples may include art, entrepreneurship, makerspace, robotics, coding, design thinking, improv, creative professional skills, martial arts, yoga, mindfulness, quantified self, foreign languages, etc.
You may or may not come from a traditional education/teaching background – you may have taught in alternative or innovative schools or programs - we are open to a range of backgrounds and experiences that align to our community and student aspirations. If you do come from a traditional education background, you’re seeking to build something different, to take your teaching practice in innovative directions and to develop deep personal relationships with students and peers. If you have experience with Montessori education, or are knowledgeable and practiced in the Socratic method, let us know in your cover letter.
We strongly encourage and welcome people from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity and join our unique community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
If you are as excited as we are about meaningful education, apply today!