Seeking an extraordinary STEM educator to help us build the future of middle school!
The Academy of Thought and Industry is an innovative new middle school model that offers a deep knowledge curriculum within a framework of self-directed learning. Our carefully crafted program offers an integrated approach to achieving personal, academic, and professional excellence. Together with our students, we identify and support individualized development plans that help each student engage in meaningful work and acquire the requisite content, skills, and experiences necessary for the life he or she wants to live.
Our program is built upon three pillars:
- A commitment to helping students discuss, digest, and debate the core competing ideas that shape our world and develop a range of knowledge and skills to help them thrive as learners and contributors
- A focus on meaningful projects, with community outreach and engagement and the flexibility for students to pursue passion-driven learning beyond the school walls.
- A close-knit small learning community of support and challenge, that includes individualized coaching for our students and engaging communities of practice for our teachers.
ATI combines the knowledge and reasoning ideals of a liberal arts education, real-world experiential opportunities for today’s urban teenagers and a supportive learning community to help each student uniquely thrive. It’s a blend of the best of a classical approach to education with the best of what alternative and experiential education have to offer. In addition, ATI offers a strong high school preparatory curriculum.
Our ideal candidate is a highly capable, experienced educator of middle school students, a curious and engaging community-builder and a thoughtful, kind human being. We know that’s asking a lot! We're looking for an innovative, intellectual mentor for our students who loves teaching and learning STEM. We are best suited for educators who care deeply about adolescent development and are inspired to be a part of building a better holistic educational experience for adolescents.
We are looking specifically for a single Math and Science Teacher to teach all levels of math and science for our mixed age environment. This is a full-time teaching position for someone that is
- Strongly interested in co-creating a vibrant, loving school community
- An experienced (or deeply committed to learning) mentor, advisor, or coach of teenagers to help them explore their passions, learn to manage difficulties and embrace their gifts
- An expert in study and application of a diverse array of Math and Science
- Excited about classroom Socratic inquiry (see our Founder's book, The Habit of Thought, for the specific pedagogy)
- Passionate about developing student critical thinking skills and mindsets and making connections to the real world
- Deeply motivated to foster autonomy and individuality of students and willing to personalize instruction and assessment significantly based on student needs
- A mentor as much as a teacher
- Has significant experience and deep commitment to working with adolescents
- An excellent communicator
- Strengths-based focused
- Committed to the idea of endless improvement personally and professionally
Ideally, you will also have a variety of interests, passions, and/or accomplishments that you'll bring to our school to share with our students. Examples may include art, entrepreneurship, makerspace, robotics, coding, design thinking, improv, creative professional skills, martial arts, yoga, mindfulness, quantified self, foreign languages, etc.
You may or may not come from a traditional education/teaching background – you may have taught in alternative or innovative schools or programs - we are open to a range of backgrounds and experiences that align to our community and student aspirations. If you do come from a traditional education background, you’re seeking to build something different, to take your teaching practice in innovative directions and to develop deep personal relationships with students and peers. If you have experience with AP coursework, SAT content and prep, and are knowledgeable and practiced in the Socratic method, let us know in your cover letter.
We strongly encourage and welcome people from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity and join our unique community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
ATI Museum Mile is on the Upper East Side and in the same beautiful location as our sister school, Guidepost Montessori.
In addition to the opportunity to co-create a new model for middle school, we offer a competitive salary and benefits, an academic schedule with summers off, and the opportunity to be an integral member of a meaningful community.
If you're as excited about this endeavor as we are, please apply below and include a detailed cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in this role.